Some initial research indicates that we will be quite comfortable in Lisboa, since the people there have a "... passion for drinking red wine with fish, ..." (MacDonogh, Giles. Portuguese Table Wines. London: Grub Street, 2001.)! Helena, one of our Travelzine friends in Lisboa, has offered a counterpoint to this statement, viz "Portuguese wines are very good, especially the red wine from Douro region or Alentejo region. They are better then our white wines but Portuguese people don't drink fish with red wine. With fish we drink white wine (usually…)". One thing we are certain of: there is quite a lot of good wine in Portugal!
We have reservations in the following places:
- Albergaria Senhora do Monte (Lisboa for five nights, starting Monday, 15 May)
- Quinta de Coalhos (near Abrantes on the Rio Tejo for three nights, starting Saturday, 20 May)
- Estalagem Santa Bárbara (in the Dão region for three nights, starting Tuesday, 23 May)
- Quinta de la Rosa (near Pinhão in the Douro Valley for four nights, starting Friday, 26 May)
- Hotel Eurostars Das Artes (Porto for five nights, starting Tuesday, 30 May)